“If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it”, paraphrasing Lord Kelvin. This is valid for indoor air too.
The RESET Standard is the world’s first sensor-based and performance-driven data standard and certification program for the built environment. The RESET Standard creates a structure for data quality, continuous monitoring, and benchmarking. The standard harnesses the power of technology in order to assess the performance of buildings and interior spaces during their operational phase.
The RESET Air Standard is a data standard for air quality monitoring.
RESET Air is designed to prioritize on-going results and long-term occupant health with a focus on the operational phase of the built environment. In the case of RESET Air, indoor air quality (IAQ) data is required to be continuously gathered through air quality monitors that measure the following parameters:
- Particulate Matter (PM2.5)
- Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC)
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
- Relative Humidity
Results are streamed to the cloud and can be viewed in real-time from any computer or mobile device, informing occupants on the quality of the air in their spaces and buildings. RESET Air takes a comprehensive approach to understanding the indoor air quality of an indoor space or building and is also designed to be scalable and affordable, while delivering actionable results. The purpose of RESET Air is to use the collected data to provide projects with information that will assist in choosing the best solutions [from the RESET website].
Interestingly, RESET is recognised by the Living Building Challenge (Imperative I10. Healthy Interior Performance) as the reference standard for IAQ testing. ILFI-approved Continuous IAQ monitoring systems include those accredited by the RESET Air Standard. Moreover, by the end of the LBC project’s twelve-month performance period, the project must be RESET certified and additionally have passing test results for any required IAQ tests as described in the LBC 4.0 handbook. Continuous IAQ monitors must monitor for the parameters listed above (adding CO).
RESET is also aligned with the WELL v2 standard, through a series of approved equivalencies within the Air concept. Projects using RESET™ Air version 2.0:
- that have successfully passed their on-site audit as evidenced by an Approved Site Audit Checklist submitted by their RESET Air Auditor will be able use this toward the “Monitor Fundamental Air Parameters” part in Feature A01: Fundamental Air Quality as well as Feature A08: Air Quality Monitoring and Awareness.
- which have an active RESET Air certification status will be able to use this toward meeting Parts 1-3 in Feature A01: Fundamental Air Quality for recertification purposes, taking the place of the project having a performance testing agent validate compliance to this feature.
- having deployed a RESET Air accredited outdoor air monitor will be able to use this toward meeting the “Manage Window Use” part in Feature A07: Operable Windows.
Carlo Battisti | Sustainable Innovation Management & Consulting offers accredited (RESET, WELL, LEED) IAQ services for your project, product, company. Contact and information here.
[Cover photo by Alesia Kazantceva on Unsplash]